Charity, Justice, Advocacy, Presence

I've written about this before. The variety of appropriate ways in which we can respond to the needs of people on the margins. 

When we had our first planning meeting for the Drop In, it was the centrepiece of our discussion as we talked it through and expanded on the idea. Different team members could identify with different roles. 

This week, we got to see how it all fits together in a concrete way. 

What it means:

Charity: I have more than I need, I give some to someone who has less than they need.

Justice: I see that a system is unfair or corrupt so I take action to push back against it by picketing the MPPs office, finding a loophole, or running for office.

Advocacy: Standing up for someone or speaking up for them in a way that they are unable to speak for themselves.

Presence: Being a friend, accepting hospitality, doing life together.

What it looks like:

Our friend came to the Drop In the other week. He had a few things to contribute to the give-away table. Some hygiene products he'd been given but couldn't use. He dropped them on the table, fixed himself a coffee and sat down. We all chatted and laughed for a while. Presence.

He mentioned that he needed to get his ID straightened out. He's been using the church as a mailing address for a while so he's able to connect with government supports and such. Justice.

But his ID is all out of date. He has a photo Health Card, but that can't be used as ID. He has no driver's license. His status card is expired and has to be renewed in person in a municipality over an hour's drive away. He does have his Birth Certificate, but it's been wet so many times (the joys of living unsheltered) that it's falling apart.

That morning one of the team members suggested applying for the new Provincial Photo ID card. There is a Service Ontario office within walking distance of the church so we walked over there to see what would be involved. The employee took one look at his Birth Certificate and said, "I'm sorry, but no. I can't read this. I have to be able to enter this information into the system and I just can't." My friend, who has heard too many "no's" over the years, mumbled, ok forget it and fled. I asked the staffer, "What do we need to do to make this happen?" She told me he would need a new Birth Certificate and gave me the info on how to apply. Advocacy.

We regrouped at the church and went to the website to fill in the application for a replacement document. My friend filled in all of the autobiographical info and when we needed to name an "Approved Guarantor," a team member who is a 'Teacher in Ontario' stepped up and filled that blank. Advocacy again.

The final screen of the application process is the payment. The fee is $35, plus an extra $30 for expedited service within 5 business days. My friend doesn't have it. But the Drop In has received a donation to cover some of the ministry, so no problem. Charity.

A few days later, when the new Birth Certificate arrived, we walked over to Service Ontario again. This time there was no problem. The Photo Card has been ordered.

As we were walking away together, my friend said, "OK. Now I know how it works. I can help my neighbour. She needs ID, too." He has become an advocate.

So, yeah, a very good week.




Comments