Looking Over My Shoulder

 Points of data.

1. At last month's County council meeting, the Mayor of Cobourg said, "If we don't have a plan for when this encampment closes, which is what I'm hearing, then the plan will be to allow these people to disperse among the community... which is what is leading to a grassroots movement in Cobourg that no one on this council is going to like... This is a movement being led by the people in Cobourg... I am not here trying to upset or annoy my fellow councillors. I am trying to communicate that if we don't come up with the solution, the solution that the people of Cobourg are going to come up with is one that is not a good choice..."

2. Since then, I've been told that someone who is a friend of a friend doesn't like having my car parked in front of their house because the members of a "private crime-watch" group on facebook might see my car and assume that this person is a friend of mine.

3. In the last couple of weeks, some of my fellow volunteers who come and go visiting our friends at the encampment have been watched, filmed, and (yes) followed by a person whose name we know (not a journalist of any kind), and whose vehicle's description we have shared among us for our security.

One of us has said that they are careful to cross the road to the driveway at the Camp in clear sight of the security guards at the gate, and they don't relax until they're inside. 

Ironic that we can feel safer among the addicts and jail-birds than we do among the 'respectable.'

Comments