World Will Wait


Today was a perfect summer day. Perfect for a barbeque event in the town park, sponsored by an organisation that focusses on mental health, addiction, homelessness, and the people who experience those challenges.

Part of the event was an open mic which I hadn't noticed would be a thing.

I was very proud to see a couple of friends step up and read out into the community poems that came from somewhere very personal. 

I started wishing I'd brought something with me, but on my walk back to the office I decided to share one of mine here.

This is what I would have read today in the park if I'd been paying attention to the posters!😕

______

World Will Wait - by moi

Take me in; I've been out there being brave
Battle fought, barely won, little saved
Let me hear the door shut behind me
Firm in the face of what's followed me home
Let it wait

Just 'til dawn

Pour a draught that will burn going down
Flood my skin with the homefire found
Slake my thirst, ease my shoulders
Let vigilance melt in a trusting sigh
World will wait

Just 'til dawn

(Tomorrow comes soon enough
And I’m not as tough 
as I thought I was)

Let me dream under weaving warm
Quilted peace, thick and heavier than storm
On a pillow my neck's known before
In sheets my toes can remember
Make it wait

Just 'til dawn 

Just 'til dawn


For more info on the event sponsors:

https://cmhahkpr.ca


Comments